Thank you to Casa Sosegad for the header!
I work in an Alzheimers Dementia Care Unit and I adore the residents I work with. Especially when they come up with witty comments, interesting comebacks, and compliments. If you have a relative with Alzheimers this list might not be for you, as it is sad to see your loved one go downhill, but for the caregivers and nurses these comments make us smile. We only know the person after they have Alzheimers so we can love them where they are at, without the feeling of loss.
1…. "I don't need a bath" (odor indicates otherwise)
2. "I haven't had anything to eat all day" (after exiting the dining room and eating a full meal)
3. "We haven't met have we" (I have talked to this one everyday for 2 years about the news, weather etc)
4. "Can I come in?" (means can I come sit by you and keep you company)
5. "Its nice to lose your mind cause each day brings new things" (said to office staff one morning)
6. Resident: "I want a pumpkin" Staff: "look in your bag" Resident: "Wow how did that get in there?" (at the pumpkin patch after picking pumpkins)
7.. "Am I supposed to be impressed?" (after my husband sang to them to decrease the sundowners) (sundowners happens usually in the evening when the sun is going down and the residents get more restless and more confused)
8. "If I wanted you to speak I would have thrown you a bone" (after asking a resident where she was hurting)
9. "I have a right to get up and walk and I have a right to fall" (from a former nurse and she is right. It's in the Residents Bill of Rights)
Compliments: (I received a lot of compliments as a nurse in hospital and home settings but never as many as I do now. Heres a small sampling)
10. "Thank you pretty girl" (everyday after I ask how a certain lady is doing)
11. "Did you give that shot already? I didn't even feel a thing" (after almost every injection I give)
12. She is THE NURSE (Said from one resident to another as if I am the Queen of England)
BEST EVER comment:
13. My all time favorite "I thank God everyday that I do not have Alzheimers" (Spoken by an Alzheimers resident to her table mates who also have Alzheimers)
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants