Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday



What works for me this week is pictures of kitchen items that cannot go in the dishwasher. Lately I have received more help in the kitchen as far as dishes are concerned, and I am constantly pulling out the items that are silverstone, iron, Kitchen Aide parts, Sil pat mat etc. So I took pictures of all of them and hung it up inside the closest cupboard to the sink. Its an easy way for hubby and kids to quickly see if it needs to stay out of the dishwasher. Here is the pic of the rubber top to my Vitamix. I left the plastic top on, that can go in the dishwasher, just so it is more recognizable.



I have had alot of comments about children too young to unload dishwasher so here is my addendum: Rearrange your cupboards so most things like plates and cups, etc are at the perfect height for even 3 and 4 year olds to help empty the dishwasher. Don't worry, its only temporary till they get older and taller and the benefits of developing their helpfulness before they get to the unhelpful stage is PRICELESS! Pictures help hubby's too. Now if I could get a picture directory of where all the tools go in the garage! LOL Martha left a great comment on possibly using it for things that shouldn't go in the Laundry. If you like that idea, go and leave her a message!

That is what works for me. For more WFMW ideas head over to Rocks in my Dryer

17 comments:

Nikki said...

Great tip! I haven't had a problem yet with my kids because they're so young. But my hubby had to hear me reminding him several times when we were first married. I actually came to the point where I'd say (about dishes in the dishwasher or clothes that don't go in the dryer), "Fine. If it gets ruined, I'm buying a new one." That worked. But I will definitely keep this tip in mind with my children. Right now they just help unload the dishwasher. I suppose I could also gently remind them every time before they even get the responsibility of loading the dishwasher, "And remember, aluminum doesn't go in the dishwasher. Mommy's special pots get washed in the sink. Knives get washed in the sink." I'll cement it in their mind before they even realize what I'm saying.

Staci said...

Great tip! As usual! When the kids are old enough to load the dishwasher I'll do the same.

An Ordinary Mom said...

So easy, yet so clever. Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Great idea!

Overwhelmed! said...

I like this idea! So far, my 2 year old is more interested in taking things OUT of the dish washer than putting them in, but I'll store this idea away for a future date.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

That's a great idea! I usually hear, "hun, can this go in the dishwasher??" My daughter doesn't load yet; she just unloads.

Joyful Days said...

I probably should do this for myself...blush, blush.

Great idea.

Meliss said...

Great idea! I don't have many things that need to be kept out of the dishwasher, but your tip is prompting me to think of other problem areas that I have with kids' chores that might be solved with a visual.

Amber said...

Hey, cool! I bet that helps a lot. I'm not too far from having the kids help load the dishwasher so I'll remember your suggestion. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I'm still a little unclear on what the issue is...you mean there are items that shouldn't be put in the dishwasher??? ;)

Stephanie Appleton said...

That is a great idea. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's a great tip! I'll have to remember that when my kids are old enough to load the dishwasher by themselves! Thanks for sharing!

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

Works for hubby's too if yo can get them to help out. LOL

Goslyn said...

What a great idea. What I need are pictures to show where things GO, I think. Superhubby will gladly unload the dishwasher, and then leave most of the dishes stacked neatly on the counter becuase he "doesn't know where they go."

We have glass-fronted cabinets. It's not that hard. :)

Martha said...

This is a wonderful idea! I may borrow it to use with laundry that can't be put into the dryer!

Brought to you by Her Majesty Magenta said...

Hey what a great idea Martha! I am all over that project.

Rae said...

Great tip! Thanks for sharing! =)